We should pursue after the name of LORD,
- Merciful - kind to one another, merciful to one another, put ourself in other's shoes. Compassionate. LORD : ".. pour yourself out for the hungry .. " [Is 58:10]
- Gracious - open our hand to the poor, to the needy.
- Slow to anger - we should learn from LORD, who endures tremendous insults day after day, and also learn from Jesus, who was so humble and meek.
- Abounding in steadfast love - love one another in brotherly love. Aim for the long term good of the other person. Hence parents discipline their children with cane, after repeated admonition and yet not given heed, is also "love". To let our children run loose, or see our friends going into wrong track and yet "reason with/talk to/warn" him not, is not love.
- Abounding in Faithfulness - should do what proceeds out of our mouth. Always speak the truth and no lies. Faithful to friends, employer, other partner in marriage, ....
- Forgiving - Many people suffer hardships/problems at home, at the work place, ... and could not control themselves and would vent on us. Or they receive less education as we do and hence would see things different from us, therefore we should have a sympathetic and understanding heart, and forgive others' trespasses. Jesus : "if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." [Mt 6:14]
- Jealous against iniquity, against evil - This is a very important attitude. If we do not have "hate evil" attitude, we would tolerate many "evil acts", (or blind to the sufferings of victims of evil), and gradually, we would learn to do those acts, making ourselves farther and farther away from LORD.
(Note : "hate evil" is NOT the same as "hate evil persons". Remember Jesus : "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." [Mt 5:44])